31 Aug 2018
Please note that teams’ replacement allocation is not affected by the revised HIA application. This includes if teams have used all their replacements.
- If a player fails the HIA – his temporary replacement becomes permanent and stays on the field even when the team has exhausted their allocation during this period.
- Tactical replaced players may return as temporary replacement for HIA.
- HIA temporary replacement has no effect on any remaining replacements for a failed HIA test – now a freebie. The only obligation is for that player who failed the HIA test not to return to play at any stage – he is permanently replaced.
- Player 22
- Team uses 5 tactical replacements – thus has 2 replacements remaining
- Player HIA – is temporarily replaced by a player who was tactical replaced earlier.
- HIA Player fails test and his temporary replacement is now permanent
- The team still has 2 remaining replacements
Time Player Off Player On Reason
- 50 minute: 4 off 19 on - Tactical - Still has 21 & 22 on the bench
- 60 minute: 7 off 4 on - HIA - Still has 21 & 22 on the bench
- 70 minute: 7 off 4 on - Injured (failed HIA) - Still has 21 & 22 on the bench
From Eugene de Villiers
SARU Referees Department: Operations